Skip to main content

Alton (Ill.)

Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:

Elijah P. Lovejoy Memorial Collection

Identifier: M96:33
Scope and Contents

The collection contains programs for the Memorial Service held each November and Lovejoy Week held each June. It also includes the group's membership and financial records and the minutes of its meetings. Also included are six scrapbooks relating to the Lovejoy Memorial.

Dates: 1952 - 1998

First Unitarian Church of Alton Records

Identifier: M94:20
Scope and Contents The First Unitarian Church of Alton was established in 1836. It originally met in the office of Dr. William Emerson, the brother of Ralph Waldo Emerson, as the First Congressional Church of Alton. In 1854 the former Catholic Church, located at the corner of Third and Alby in Alton, was purchased by the church. It had been damaged by fire the previous year so rebuilding was necessary. The refurbished building was dedicated October 14, 1855. In 1890 the church changed its name to The First...
Dates: 1889 - 1977

Mary Haxel Collection, Alton Documents

Identifier: M02:26
Scope and Contents

The Mary Haxel Collection consists of materials related to Alton, Illinois, C.W. Leverett, Upper Alton Woman's Club, and Shurtleff College.

Dates: 1893 - 1993